Have you heard of the Bedern Hall foundation? Or have you heard of Bedern Hall at all?
The stories this hidden gem holds are so significant to the history of York that we launched ‘The Bedern Hall Foundation’ in 2013 to raise funds to help secure the Hall’s future.
35 years ago, Sir Peter Shepherd, laid the new foundation stone to restore and preserve Bedern Hall, and since, the space has been used for thousands of events from Workshops to Weddings to Christenings and other private events. Yet this not-for-profit business needs further money to secure its next 35 years for the city of York residents and beyond to use and enjoy. The new vision for the Hall incorporates education, preservation and accessibility and the target to do so is to raise £50,000 annually.
But how? There are three ways to support our vision:
1. Join the Bedern Hall Foundation.
We have 3 different types available:
- Personal: £50 per year
- Reduced prices at all public events
- Annual members-only events
- Special hire rates for personal occasions
- One complimentary hire day per year (excludes catering)
- Enterprise: £500 per year (small and medium sized businesses
- All of the above, plus:
- Annual event for up to 10 delegates including tea and coffee, onsite conference equipment and sandwich lunch/evening reception
- Corporate: £1000 per year (larger organisations)
- All of the above, plus:
- Book Bedern for a week – ideal for a group of employees (5 days)
- A ‘Meet the Guilds day’ – an alternative client networking event
Find out more information about the different types of memberships here.
2. Come along to our SPECIAL EVENT | ‘Bedern in the Evelyn Collection’
On the 22nd March 2018, we are pleased to welcome John Shaw, who is chair of the York Architectural and York Archaeological Society (YAYAS) and celebrated their 175th year in 2017. John is a Yorkshire man born and bred, and will be presenting a talk on ‘Bedern in the Evelyn Collection’ which includes a rare survival of York images from the early 1900s. Dr. Evelyn was a 19th century GP who was very passionate about preserving Yorks buildings against the ‘ruthless march of commercialism’. He created an annual series of lectures to help raise money for St Stephans Orphanage and just a month before his death in 1935, Dr. Evelyn left around 3000 large glass slides to the YAYAS which he used to illustrate these lectures.
Join us at Bedern Hall on Thursday 22nd March at 7pm, to hear John Shaws lecture and enjoy a glass of wine.
You can book your place here or call Bedern Hall on 01904 646030.
3. Donate to our Roof Tile Appeal
You can easily support the Bedern Hall foundation by making a donation to our ‘Roof Tile Appeal’. Our 2018 vision includes conservation work on the roof of our medieval hall, want to give a gift that will last for generations? Whether for a Birthday, Anniversary, Christening, Wedding or simply ‘just because’, our Roof Tile Appeal gives you the chance to leave a mark on History.
You can find full details of the scheme and how to buy a tile here.